Friday, July 26, 2013

Happy Birthday Kris

Today is the birthday of this guy I used to know. We went to Cypress College together -- his whole family was involved in theater there. Roxana did a lot of shows with his mom and sister, with him working on the technical side of things.

He lost the battle to cancer back in January. He had been sick for a while, but the last time I had seen him in person was at Barnes and Noble, before he got sick. He was looking for a book on guns -- I think I was looking for anything on feminism. We ran into each other and kept the store from closing while we (and my mom and Roxana) caught up on each others lives.

He was engaged, and Facebook still lists that as his relationship status, which never fails to break my heart. Kris was a geek in the true sense of the word -- passionate about everything he was interested in. He was full of life, and joy, and energy.

Every time I run, and CharityMiles asks me what cause I want to run for, there is no question in my mind. I always think of Kris while I run my few miles to help cure cancer.

The Facebook page of someone who has died is an odd thing. It's wonderful, because it fills up with wonderful words about the person, not just in the days following their death, but continuously, and on days like today, Kris's birthday. Plus, if you go back far enough, you can see posts from the person who passed away, and you get to pretend for a moment that they're still around.

But it's hard too. Like when I'm throwing an event, and Facebook suggests that I invite Kris. It's always a shocking moment of reality.

Missing you today Kris. I wish I had hung out with you more, gotten to know you better. I'll regret that forever. But I'm glad I knew you at all -- you have made the world a better place to live in.

Hope you're having a rocking birthday.

No comments: